can be found in the Respondus Tools module
located in the Courses tab on the myMason website. Student Instructions >>
II. Set up: How to Require LockDown Browser and Monitor
These instructions assume you already have a test built in your Blackboard course.
- Select Course Tools from your courses's Control Panel
- Select Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Click on the Settings button next to a test and choose Modify Settings.
- Select the "Require Respondus Lockdown Browser for this test" option (normally only used in a proctored environment)
- Optionally, enter a password students will need to enter to begin the test*
- Optionally, if you wish to require Monitor choose "Require Respondus Monitor" for this exam. More options will open.
- Uncheck any of the Startup Steps your students do not need to complete.
- Click Save and Close
You should now see the status of your exam with the required LockDown Browser and webcam monitoring. The test name is appended to notify students LockDown Browser is required.
* The optional password entered in Step 5 will overwrite any password you entered on the Blackboard Test Options page. The LockDown browser will add an encrypted password to the Blackboard Test Options page. While the encrypted password will not match the LockDown password, DO NOT CHANGE THIS PASSWORD on the Blackboard Test Options page. Give your students the password you entered in the Respondus tool.
To preserve the settings used by LockDown Browser, do NOT modify these settings
in Blackboard's Test Options page: 1) Name 2) Open Test in a New Window, 3) Require a password,
4) Password. If these settings have been modified the test status in the Respondus tool will appear
as an "Error." If the instructor changes settings in the Test Options or other errors occur,
return to the Respdonus tools page and click the "Fix it!" button next
to a test.
Blackboard's File Response question type is not supported in LockDown Browser as it could lead to potential exploit through the dialog box.
students complete a practice test that uses Respondus Monitor and LockDown
Browser to make sure they have the browser and webcam installed correctly.
Student instructions include an important tech check of the webcam. Adobe Flash must be installed on the student's computer. Student Instructions >>
III. Reviewing Webcam Videos
Once the student has completed and submitted the exam, instructors can access information about the exam sessions and can review the recorded videos. Note that the Respondus Monitor is intended to be a deterrent, so it is up to the instructor to determine the level of review warranted.
To review student videos:
- Select Course Tools from your course's Control Panel
- Select Respondus LockDown Browser
- Click on the Setting button next to the test and choose Video Review.
- A roster of the students in the course is shown, along with the date, time, duration of the test and grade (if applicable).
- Click [+] to expand the section for a student.
- Details of the startup sequence and the exam session are shown in the thumbnails. Click a thumbnail to view the video from the time indicated. Videos can be marked as reviewed, flagged or have comments added by the instructor.