Respondus Test Creation Application (Respondus 4.0) is a tool that can be used for managing exams that can be printed to paper or published directly to Blackboard. Installation of Respondus is required. Follow the instructions below to install Respondus to your Windows computer. Mac users will need to use the Virtual Computing Lab (VCL).
Under the Courses tab in myMason, click on the Respondus Test Creation Application link found in the Respondus Tools (Faculty) module.
A dialog box will open. Save the Respondus4Campus.exe file to your computer and run the installation.
After the installation is complete, click on the Respondus 4.0 Campus-Wide icon that displays on your desktop. You will be prompted to enter the following information:
Institution Name: George Mason University
Local Support Contact: email@example.com
LMS Personality: Blackboard 7.x-9.x
* Installation Password can be found on the "Respondus Tools (Faculty)" module under the Courses tab in myMason (see image above)
Note: Respondus will prompt you to enter a new password each year. Return to the Respondus Tools (Faculty) module for the updated password.
Sending the Test to Blackboard
Once you create or choose a test, choose the Preview & Publish tab to send to a Blackboard course. Beginning in 2018, the process to log into Blackboard via Respondus has changed.
1) Open the Internet Explorer (IE) browser on your computer (just open it,
you do not need to log into Blackboard or visit any website). There is a known Microsoft bug that required IE to
be open for some authentications.
2) Click the Publish Wizard button. If you have used Respondus before click Next. If you are a new user, choose to Add a New Server and agree to look for preconfigured server settings. Enter any name in Field 1 (like Mason) and optionally agree to save your username/password. Click Next.
3) The Mason Blackboard window will open. Click the green "Mason Bb Login" button to log into Backboard. After completing the log in process, click the "Close After Login" button at the top right of the window.
4) You can now continue to follow the on screen steps to choose your course and publish the test (if you did not save your password you will be asked to log in again).
TIP: If you cannot connect to Blackboard from within Respondus, go back to the first Publish Wizard screen and choose the third "Type of Publish" option which is "Save pool to local file for manual uploading." This will allow you to download a zip file to your desktop. Then log into your Blackboard course, go to Control Panel Course Tools > Test, Survey, Pools > Tests and click the Import button to upload your zip file.
Click here for information on how to print a paper test that was created in your Blackboard course.
Click here for information on how to import a test created in MS Word into a Blackboard course.