Respondus Monitor and Lockdown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser with Monitor is an application that records the student via webcam while taking an online test. Students must have access to both a computer and a functional webcam. By default, Respondus Monitor will record both video and audio.
Your instructor will let you know if an online exam requires the Respondus LockDown Browser application.
Important Tech check before starting the Respondus Monitor exam:
1) Please follow these instructions to download and install the Respondus
2) When you have completed these steps, find the Respondus LockDown
Browser application on your computer and open it.
3) In the LockDown Browser, navigate to your course as you normally would and take the quiz or test. You will not be able to use any other applications on your computer until you complete the test and exit the Respondus LockDown Browser.
NOTE: Once a test has been started with LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor, you cannot exit until the Submit button is clicked.
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging), chose Yes.
- If audio and video recording are required by your instructor, a Startup Sequence for Respondus Monitor will begin. This is a set of events that occur before a webcam exam begins. Follow the instructions for each step of the Startup Sequence. A list of the steps, and your progress, will show across the top of the screen. (The webcam check sequence occurs before the test begins, so it doesn't use any of the time allotted for the test.)
- The first time Respondus Monitor is used on the computer, Webcam Check will require you to select "Allow" and "Remember". This step will be skipped in subsequent uses of Respondus Monitor.
- At any point, click on the "Help Center?" button to access troubleshooting information. The Help Center button will appear on the toolbar in LockDown Browser once you have accessed your course. The Help Center includes a webcam check, a comprehensive system check and knowledge base area. Click on Help Center to learn more.
- If the instructor requires a test password, you will be prompted to enter it prior to the exam. If no password is required, click "Begin Exam" to start the exam.