Adding Piazza to Blackboard
- Instructors can create a Piazza for their class with a single click.
- Students and instructors are automatically enrolled with appropriate roles, based on the course roster.
- When clicking the Piazza link in Blackboard, users are automatically signed in to Piazza, so there's no need to remember a separate user name and password.
Piazza is a free online gathering place where students can ask, answer, and explore, under the guidance of their instructors. Students as well as instructors can answer questions, fueling a healthy, collaborative discussion.
While not affiliated or supported by Blackboard or Mason, instructors are finding Piazza an interesting alternative to the native discussion board in Blackboard. Piazza classes can now be integrated into Blackboard course sites.
The major features of the integration are all about convenience:
- Make the Basic LTI tool available in your course.
- In the Control Panel, choose Customization, then Tool Availability.
- On the Tool Availability page, check off all boxes next to Basic LTI, LTI Link, and LTI.
- Enter a name for the link, such as Piazza.
- Enter this URL: https://piazza.com/connect
- Check off "This link is to a Tool Provider."
- Click Submit.
- You will now see a Piazza link in the content folder where you added it.
- Choose Create Course Link (4) from the + menu at the top of the course menu.
- Click Browse (5).
- Choose Piazza from the content folder where you put it (6).
- Check the box that says Available to Users.
- Click Submit.
You will not need to register/invite students to Piazza. Students will access Piazza directly from Blackboard, which will automatically register them for your Piazza.