Blackboard Collaborate Web Launcher
The Blackboard Collaborate Launcher is a utility for Windows and Mac. It provides a convenient and reliable way for you to launch your Blackboard Collaborate web conferencing sessions and recordings. When you click Join Room on the Room Details page or a recording link in the Recordings table, Blackboard Collaborate checks to see if you have the launcher installed. If you do not, Blackboard Collaborate prompts you to download it. It is a one time install.
Choose: Windows Instructions | Mac Instructions
The Blackboard Collaborate Launcher is installed by a file named 'BlackboardCollaborateLauncher-Win.msi'. To download the file, follow the instructions:
- Navigate to an active collaborate meeting in Blackboard as if to join a scheduled meeting.
- Click the button "Join Room". If this is your first time joining a meeting recently, Blackboard will automatically prompt you to download the new launcher. Otherwise, see the help text below the button and select the link to download the Blackboard Collaborate Launcher.
- Your computer will start downloading a file names 'BlackboardCollaborateLauncher-Win.msi.
IMPORTANT: Now you must install the software.Where the file is downloaded will vary depending on your browser:
- Chrome: The file will appear in the download bar at the bottom of the window. Select the file once it has finished downloading.
- Internet Explorer: A prompt at the bottom of the window will ask if you want to Run, Save, or Cancel. Select Run.
- Firefox: A prompt to save the file will pop up. Select Save. Open your
downloads and select file once it has finished downloading.
Once BlackboardCollaborateLauncher-Win.msi has been downloaded and launched, follow the below instruction to install the software:
- At the Blackboard Collaborate Launcher Setup main Page, select Next
- Select Install. Wait for the system to finish installing the software
- Select Finish
Now you can choose Join Room to open your session. This is a one time install.
If you are having problems downloading the file, you can also access it from this link: https://na-downloads.elluminate.com/bcl/win/BlackboardCollaborateLauncher-Win.msi
If you are on Mac OS X 10.8.4 or later (including Mavericks), you will be prompted to download the Blackboard Collaborate Launcher.
- Click on your session or recording link. You will be presented with the Room Details page, prompting you to download the launcher.
- In the Room Details page, click the link Collaborate Launcher. The Collaborate Launcher window will open.
Note: If you already downloaded the launcher, proceed to step 7. You need to download the launcher only once.
- At the bottom of the Collaborate Launcher window, click Download Launcher.
- What you do next depends on what browser you are using:
- If you are on Safari, no further steps are required to install the launcher. Proceed to step 7.
- If you are on Chrome, proceed to step 6.
- If you are on Firefox, proceed to step 5.
- (Firefox only) The browser prompts you to Open or Save the .zip file (refer to image 4). Select Save file and, to avoid this step in the future, select the option Do this automatically for files like this from now on. By default, the file will be saved in your browser's Downloads folder.
- (Firefox and Chrome only) Open your browser's Downloads library and, when your download is complete, unzip BlackboardCollaborateLauncher-Mac.zip.
Note: The launcher is now available for use; no further installation steps are required. It will typically reside in the Downloads folder, although you could move it to a different location on your file system. Moving it to the Applications folder may require admin privileges.
- Go back to the Collaborate Launcher window and click the link I already have this, Launch or go back to the Room Details page and click Launch Session. This will download the .collab file to your Downloads folder.
- Open your browser's Downloads folder and double-click on the .collab file to launch your session.
If you are having problems downloading the Blackboard Collaborate Launcher you can use the link below.
As a first time user, when you click Join Room
on the Room Details
page or a recording link in the Recordings
table, Blackboard Collaborate prompts you to download the launcher. This initiates the launcher detection process, which tells the software that you downloaded and installed the launcher. This sets a flag in your browser, causing you to bypass the First time using Blackboard Collaborate? pop-up window next time you join a session or play a recording.
However, you may encounter the "first time user experience" and be prompted to download the launcher even though you installed the launcher earlier. You are treated as a first time user when you open a session or recording link in the following situations:
- You cleared your cache and cookies last time you exited your browser.
- You are using secure or private browsing.
- You installed the launcher using one browser but now are launching a session or recording in another browser.
To confirm that the launcher is installed, look for the application on your system:On Windows
: The Windows launcher is called Win32Launcher.exe. The default installation location is the following directory:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\Blackboard\Blackboard Collaborate Launcher
- Alternatively, look for the application Blackboard Collaborate Launcher in the Control Panel, under Programs and Features, or in the Start menu.
- Note: Windows 8 or later users can find the launcher on the Start page in Metro view.
: The Mac launcher is called Blackboard Collaborate Launcher. The default installation location is your Downloads folder. However, when opening a .collab file, you had the option to move it to your Applications folder instead, so check there too.
If you do not have the launcher, install it.
Still having problems? Connect to the Blackboard Collaborate Support Portal
If you would like to speak to someone you call a Blackboard Collaborate Technician, connect with Technical Support